Marriages in India are known to carry its values and traditions from ages. More than that, Indians are proud to carry these values to generations to come. These traditions and values are their identity; which actually define a true Indian. These make them different from cultures practised in other countries. Though, India alone has a number of religions followed by its people, but still the only look of the ceremony or a marriage tells that it’s an Indian wedding. The ideologies and the practises followed in the Indian weddings are mostly influenced by the Hindu traditions. Hindu Matrimony is the most widespread matrimonial type practised in India. The ceremonies and the rituals practised in the Hindu matrimonies are famous across the world.
The longevity of the marriage bond enjoyed by the Indians is based on few ideologies like:
- The idea behind the strength of Hindu matrimony is that marriage is a bond not only between the Hindu bride and the groom; it is the union of two families. The newlywed couple makes sure that they respect and try to adjust in each other’s family environment. Indians give a lot of importance to family values and bonding and same is expected from the couple.
- Adjustments and understanding: Marriages in India are said to last for long, because the Indian brides and grooms are well aware of the meaning and importance of the terms adjustment and understanding. From childhood, they have been brought up in the culture, where they are made to comprehend the values of family and integrity.
- A lifetime bond: Hindu matrimonies do not comply with the word divorce.
They are nurtured with the fact that marriage is for lifetime and they take every possible step to save their marriage. The Hindu bride makes every effort to bring life to the marriage bond and same is done by her husband. Togetherness and compatibility are given new definitions with each passing day.
- Blessings from the elders: Couples in India make it a point that they take the blessings from their elders to give a smooth passage to their married life. Prayers and trust in God, forms a very important part of the daily activities of the Hindu families in India. All the events are started with the permission of the elders and same goes with the Hindu matrimonies.
- Equal importance to man and woman: Hindu matrimony gives equal rights to the bride and grooms to keep their point forward. Both are required to make equal contribution to lead the bond grow with happiness and smiles all around. It is not suppose to be a burden for one person to handle everything in married life. The Hindu bride and groom take every step with each other’s prior consent to avoid any confusions and arguments in future.
- Trust: It is the most essential factor, required to lead the married life happily. If the bride and groom trust each other, then there is no place for doubt in the relation. it helps in adding peace to the marriage bond and the couple can enjoy their married life. It acts as the most delicate thread, which binds the bride and groom, which once broken can spoil the essence of the relation.
These points, define the sacredness of the bond formed between the couple at the time of Hindu matrimony. The vows taken at the time of wedding again refines these values of trust and togetherness in their mind and that they are tied in a bond of lifetime. Marriage is not a game; it’s an affair of entire life, so one should put his heart in it, not mind.